If you are looking for healthy, kid-friendly, and low-calorie dip or spread, you just found it! Eggplant spread is all that and more! My kids love to spread it on bread, but it could also be enjoyed with your favorite chips at your next party. You can enjoy it hot or cold, although my family prefers it cold. It is also great to make ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator up to a week. If everyone in your party likes a little kick, add a bit of hot sauce to your taste. I make this spread at least once a month. It makes a healthy and great afternoon snack!
Eggplant Spread Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped or grated
- 2 Tablespoons organic tomato paste
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- Heat up oil in a medium pan or skillet.
- On medium heat, add eggplant with a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, bell pepper and carrots. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Lower temperature to medium-low. Stir in 2 Tablespoons of organic tomato paste and 1 cup of water.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Turn heat to the lowest, cover the pan with lid and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Puree in blender to desired consistency.
3 cups when pureéd