Just as with any fruit that has that tangy taste, you can be sure that pineapple packs a good punch of vitamin C—a single cup of it offers well over your daily requirement. Pineapple also contains bromelain, a protein digesting enzyme. That makes it a good meat tenderizer, but as the University of Maryland Medical Center notes, bromelain has also been used to reduce swelling after surgeries and with infections. Some research also suggests that the enzyme may be as effective as ibuprofen and naproxen in reducing the pain of arthritis. Find out about Why Pineapple Earned the Name “Excellent Fruit” here.
Pineapple Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into bite sizes
- 1 cucumber, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 fresh stem mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon
- Combine pineapple, cucumber, mint, and cinnamon together.
- Squeeze juice from lemon.
- Mix well together.
* serves 3