Have you ever come across a purple sprouting broccoli? You can order this broccoli online from many locations or look around at natural grocery stores. Now about this broccoli: purple sprouting broccoli is in peak season around the wintertime. It contains phytochemical sulforaphane which helps prevent cancer and fight diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis. This broccoli, as well as the beets, pack in few calories and contain many healthy antioxidants. The walnuts look like they are a brain shape, and guess what! Walnuts are for keeping your brain bright and healthy! These nuts have vitamin E, Omega and 3 fatty acids that have shows signs of boosting memory and improving cognitive function. Enjoy this unique salad!
- 1 small beet
- 1 bush of purple sprouting broccoli
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Boil 1 small beet, just in water for 30 minutes. After it cools down peel and slice.
- Boil or steam 1 bush of purple sprouting broccoli for 10 minutes; combine with sliced beets.
- Chop 1/4 cup of walnuts, mix in with broccoli and sliced beet.
- Whisk together 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and pinch of salt and pepper (or to taste). Drizzle on top of the salad.