I have been trying to stay away from sugar, which has been kind of hard since I have such a sweet tooth. I grew up baking, and enjoyed to sit down with a nice cup of green tea and a slice of cake. But ever since I got on the healthier lifestyle, I have been cutting down. And got to the point where dessert is a treat at the end of the week. To help with my sweet cravings, I made this beet and citrus salad. It has a combination of sweet and tangy, not just in the dressing, but also as the main salad ingredients.
Beet and Citrus Salad with a Sweet and Tangy Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 large beet, peeled and sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 thin slices red onion
- 1 Tablespoon walnuts, chopped
- Dressing: Whisk together dressing ingredients, set a side.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil. Spread sliced beets on the foil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until beets are tender. Cool down.
- Arrange orange, grapefruit, beet and red onion on a plate.
- Drizzle dressing on top and sprinkle with walnuts.