Chicken coconut rice bowl was inspired by a dish I had up in Canada, just a couple weeks ago. I love the different nutrition variety on one plate. Grapefruits have been in my everyday life lately, and I thought it would be a great addition to the rice, which worked out very well. I tried this recipe with white rice and brown rice, and can tell you that either one works with the flavor of the coconut.
Chicken Coconut Rice Bowl with Dairy-Free Coconut Ranch Recipe
Dairy-Free Coconut Ranch:
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 cup basmati white or brown rice
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- black pepper
- 1 boneless-skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Dairy-Free Coconut Ranch: Combine ingredients into a small blender and blend together till smooth.
- Coconut Rice: Rinse rice in cold water. Place in a small saucepan with coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Stir and reduce heat to the lowest. Cover the pan with a lid. Continue cooking for 15 minutes. Remove the pan form heat and let it cool down for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Chicken: Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 ground black pepper. Heat up 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a skillet then place the chicken in the skillet. Cook until the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear. This should take 8 to 12 minutes. As the chicken cooks, turn it occasionally. Take out and let cool, then cut.
- Arrange: Add the rice, chicken slices, avocado, red cabbage, and grapefruit.
- Drizzle with coconut ranch.
- Sprinkle with chives and sliced almonds.