Lately I’ve been remembering all the great food my mom used to cook when I was growing up. She was a pretty decent chef! Another one of my favorite recipes that she prepared are her delicious Eggplant Rolls. Now not everyone loves eggplant, but I believe that’s just because they haven’t had it prepared well. I have always been an eggplant lover (thanks, Mom!), and was happy to hear that one cup of cooked, cubed eggplant contains from 20-35 calories.
I found a few more reasons to love eggplant, too; it contains fiber, which helps protect the digestive tract and control diabetes. While you can take the skin off of the eggplant for this recipe, I encourage you to leave it on—the skin contains nasunin, a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger shown to protect the lipids in brain cell membranes. I guess that kind of makes eggplant brain food!
Eggplant Rolls Recipe
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 cup fresh Dill
- 1 cup fresh Parsley
- 1 cup fresh Cilantro
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet.
- Cut off the end of the eggplant. Then cut lengthwise 1/2inches each slice.
- Sprinkle gently with salt each side.
- Sauté each side till cooked through, about 2 mins each side or it starts getting a golden-brown color. Take out, and place on a paper towel.
- Blend together dill, parsley, cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise and walnuts.
- Spread on to each eggplant slice and roll it up.