Like most beans, garbanzo beans contain a healthy amount of protein. Just 1/2 cup of garbanzo beans contain 7 grams of protein. Why is protein so important? Because protein contains amino acids, which are building blocks for tissue and essential nutrient for the repair of cells and building new ones. In this quinoa and garbanzo bean salad you get plenty of protein, and not just from the beans, but also from quinoa, which is high protein and is packed with nine essential amino acids for your body.
Quinoa and Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 14oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 small avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa by adding quinoa and water into a small pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until water is gone. Fluff with a fork and let it cool down.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the quinoa.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.