I love this dish! Ratatouille is full of so many vegetables, flavors and health benefits. This dish will give you a big serving of potassium. Zucchini is full of potassium and because this nutrient is very great in this vegetable, it provides heart health. A serving of zucchini supplies your body with more than 15% of the daily value of potassium. Eggplant is considered food for your bones and brain. It is good for your brain because of the many phytonutrients and minerals in it such as fiber, manganese, vitamin K and folate. As for our third main ingredient, tomato is beneficial for improving vision. Eating tomatoes also provides you with dietary fiber, vitamin C, potassium and decreases your depression.
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 5-6 tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2 steams of parsley
- 3 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
*You can substitute the fresh tomatoes to a can of organic 14oz tomatoes in sauce.
- 6-8 tomatoes (depending on the size)
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 steams of fresh parsley
- Wash and slice 1 eggplant, add a pinch of salt and set a side.
- Wash and slice 1 zucchini (use two if they are small).
- Wash and slice 4-5 tomatoes.
- If you are using fresh tomatoes: Boil a pot of water, add tomatoes and let boil for 3 minutes. Peel the skin off the tomatoes and pureė in a food processor or just chop.
- Peel and chop 1 onion.
- In a pan heat up 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add in the chopped tomatoes until it starts to brown up; stir occasionally.
- Chop 1 red bell pepper, add to the onions. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add puréed tomatoes to the onion. Also add 1 minced garlic clove and 2 steams of fresh parsley chopped.
- Turn heat off. Salt and pepper to taste.
Putting it all together:
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Pour tomato sauce on the bottom of a shallow oven safe casserole dish.
- Arrange sliced eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes in a pattern.
- In a small dish, add 2 steams of chopped parsley, 2-3 garlic cloves minced, 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix and pour on top of the arranged vegetables.
- Cover dish with lid or parchment paper. Bake for 1 hour.
- Let ratatouille cool down for few minutes, Enjoy!