Crostini is an Italian appetizer consisting of small slices of toasted bread with a topping. Today's recipe features onion, zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, and tomato as the topping and let me tell you, this is so delicious and perfect as an appetizer for your next dinner party or book club! What the great thing about vegetables is that eating a lot of them can drastically decrease the chance of chronic disease,. They also promote weight-loss and a few vegetables are also considered a super-food. Tomatoes target the health of the heart and are low in calories as the zucchini is full of potassium and vitamin A.
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 stem green onion
- 1 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 1 stem fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 thick sliced bread
- Chop 1/2 onion and 1 stem green onion. Sauté in a heated pan with 2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 minutes.
- Chop 1 eggplant, 1 zucchini, 1 red pepper, 1 tomato add to the onions.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. On low heat sauté for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in chopped fresh basil.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic and add to the pan. Salt to taste.
- Slice french baguette or any firm textured bread. Toast each slice.
- Add couple tablespoons of vegetable mix on top of each toasted and sliced bread.