- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 2-3 small tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 cup of The Original Picante Sauce (add 2 cups of the sauce if you want your soup more spicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large cast iron pot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper and carrots, put the lid on and cook until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Then add the ground cumin and cook for one more minute.
- Raise the heat to medium high and add the ground beef. Cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally and breaking up the beef with a spoon.
- Add the diced tomatoes, Picante Sauce, water, dried oregano, salt and pepper and stir until the ingredients are mixed well. Partially cover the pot and cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring every ten minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and bread. Enjoy!