There are a lot of recipes for borscht, therefore the health benefits vary. My version comes from my mother, she sure knew how to keep us healthy. This soup is filled with protein, vegetables and just gives you an immune boost. I make this soup all year round, but more often during the cold and flu season. This is by far my favorite soup of all.
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 qts water
- 1 lb beef (or chicken)
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 red beet, grated
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 4-5 potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 of cabbage head, shredded
- 1/4 of red bell pepper
- Salt and Pepper ot Taste
- 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- In a large pot boil 4 qts of water with 1 lb beef, 1 dry bay leaf and a Tablespoon of salt. Boil for 30 mins.
- While the meat is boiling, in in skillet heat up 2 Tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add in onion. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in grated carrots and beet. Sauté all for another 5 minutes.
- Add in 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste. Stir together and set a side.
- After the meat has been boiling for 30 minutes, take a bowl or a different pot and strain the water from meat. Set the meat a side.
- Add potatoes to the water from meat. Bring to a boil.
- Add in shredded cabbage. Boil till potatoes are soft.
- Add in sautéd vegetables to the pot.
- Add 1/4 piece of red bell pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like the meat in your soup, this is the time to add it back in. (Optional)
- Sprinkle for chopped fresh dill.
- Bring everything to a boil. Enjoy!