Kharcho, is a beef rice soup. There are many variations from family to family, but this is how I was taught to make it. Simple homemade soup made out of basic ingredients that people usually have on hand. Even though it is a simple soup, it's still packed with flavor and nutrition. I like using a soft meat like fillet mignon, turns out very soft.
Soup Kharcho Recipe
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound of filet mignon beef, 1" cubed
- 1 Tablespoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 3-4 potatoes, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- Handful of chopped parsley, chopped
- pepper to taste
- Fill up a medium size pot with 6 cups of water.
- Place cubed beef in the pot, and a Tablespoon of salt. Boil Cook for 1 hour on low-medium heat.
- Take meat out.
- To the pot add potatoes and rice. Cook till potatoes are soft.
- In a skillet, heat up 2 Tablespoons olive oil and add in onion. Sauté till onion is almost transparent.
- Add cooked meat to the onions. Sauté for a minute.
- Add in garlic and stir in a tablespoon of tomato paste. Sauté all for two minutes. Add to the pot.
- Bring everything to a boil.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley.